Zen Beekeeping for Beginners
The ultimate look at what your first hive will need, look like and advice on natural management.
Get started now!
Find your Zen!
I know how hectic the world can be, I am a mom to six kids! Finding my zen in the crazy fast world of parenting and work is almost impossible BUT I did it! Not only did I find my zen but I created a thriving apiary that grows when the "industry " is losing bees.
This will be the beginning of your AMAZING personal journey in beekeeping:
Encouragement and enlightenment for your choices in beekeeping.
Everyone starts as a beginner. Here you will find no judgement, just sweet encouragement.
Beekeeping will be your zen and fill your life with sweet mindfulness! Don't let the world steal your magic, keeping bees will help you unlock your spirit and become your zen teacher.
Students are encouraged to ask questions and never stop learning!
You will be presented beginning beekeeping terminology, survey the types of equipment, brief bee biology, how to install bees and inspect your hive. You will gain insight toward honey harvesting and the seasonal tasks of a beekeeper.
“You’ve got to go at the rate you can go. You wake up at the rate you wake up.”
I designed this for the new beekeeper,bee activist and those that want to keep bees, harvest honey, to make available information that will allow you to learn, enjoy and thrive at keeping bees or just watching bees!
What you’ll learn
- You will be presented beekeeping terminology
- Know the types of equipment and how to choose what is right for you
- Get a brief bee biology
- How to install and keep bees with confidence
- Learn how to inspect your hive and understand what to look for
- You will be introduced to pests of the hive and possible solutions
- You will feel more comfortable in the hive
- Get a glimpse into the amazing world of these amazing insects
- Students will be able to make more informed choices on how to care for their bees
- Begin your journey towards being a zen beekeeper
Are there any course requirements or prerequisites?
- Interest in bees and the amazing world of the honeybee
- Interest in beekeeping and planning on getting a hive.
- Motivation to learn!
- Pen and Paper for Precious Notes!
- Sense of Humor
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who is interested in honey bees
- Anyone who is interested in beekeeping
- Anyone who already has a hive or few hives
- Anyone interested in gardening and pollinators
Bee Guru & Head Beekeeper
Co-Owner of Butts' Bees Apiary
I love being a beekeeper!
I have been keeping bees organically since 2003. As any gardener knows, you need pollinators! Our apiary is treatment free and smokeless. I am passionate about the survival of the honeybee and all our pollinators so I run a natural management apiary.
I have kept bees in Northern Maine and currently South Mississippi. We currently run over one hundred hives and have both urban and country yards. I am a queen breeder of VSH queens. Our apiary harvests honey, pollen, wax, and sells queens, bees and nucs.
I love talking with people about the bees and our experiences with the natural world that is around us. I hope to get people excited about the connections we have with these wonderful insects. Everyone needs to slow down and smell the honey.
I have experienced many of the challenges faced by beekeepers and understand your fear and frustrations caring for these amazing creatures. I designed this for the new beekeeper and those that want to keep bees and harvest honey, to make available information that will allow you to learn, enjoy and thrive at keeping bees.
I think it is important that everyone who wants to gets the chance to keep bees. It places us on another level with our interactions in the wild world.
Come and practice zen in the apiary.
I look forward to working with you!